Beauty Lockdown Inspiration: How to Refresh Your Makeup Look for Spring
Let’s do this second lockdown differently, shall we? Let’s keep up our daily routines and apply that mascara, straighten our hair and put on some polished loungewear. Just because we are home doesn’t mean that we can’t get inspired by this seasons’ make up trends and try some looks out for your next zoom sesh. We sat down with Shawn Theriault, a Spirit Spa hair and makeup stylist who has worked with some of the best beauty brands, from Bobbie Brown, MAC Cosmetics to Oribe, to get details on makeup looks we should be playing with for Spring.
What are the Spring Makeup Trends?
“Move over lips—eyes and cheeks reign supreme! In fact, the NY Times reports that blush is the third most popular searched beauty item and sales are on the rise,” says Shawn Theriault.
“In terms of trends we are seeing warm brown eyeshadows, well defined brows, blue mascara for a pop of color and that warm JLo Bronzy look for cheeks.”
It’s All About the Eyes.
We talk with our eyes; we seduce with our eyes. In our new mask-wearing reality, our eyes are working overtime to show our emotions.
“For Spring, it’s all about strongly defined brows and warm brown and bronzy eye shadow pallets. For your day look, a bronze eyeshadow that looks like you spent some time on the beach is perfect for our minimalist lifestyle right now,” says Shawn Theriault.
Another way to make your eyes pop is to use navy mascara on your lower lashes. “Don’t worry this isn’t your 80’s blue mascara its more subtle, say Theriault. “Using black on top and navy on the bottom creates an intriguing look that draws people in.”
Make-Up Bag Must Have’s for Spring
Jane Iredale Purebrow Brow Gel | $25 Buy now
- Tints brow hairs in a natural-looking way, adds depth, colour and holds unruly brows in place.
- It covers grey eyebrow hairs and can be used as a light mascara.
Jane Iredale Naturally Glam Eye Shadow Kit | $76 Buy now
- Includes five shades: Feather, Lace, Chinelle, Satin and Velvet.
- Super-saturated, yet totally wearable shadows with just a touch of lid-lighting shimmer.
- Packaged in a mirrored compact with application brush.
Jane Iredale Pure Lash Lengthening Mascara in Navy | $32.50 Buy now
- The dual-sided brush creates longer, fuller looking lashes.
- Developed with a proprietary blend of Seaweed Lipids and Wheat Protein that thicken, curl and strengthen lashes.
- Triple-length Cellulose Fibers contribute to the appearance of extra length and thickness.
- Formulated with Panthenol to condition lashes.
- Created to protect lashes in order to reduce splitting and breaking.
Stop It I’m Blushing
Tired of putting on lipstick that no one sees and gets your mask dirty? So are we! Women and men are flocking to blush to give them a boost of colour. Rosy cheeks remind us of spending time outdoors, laughing and living life to the fullest. It’s no wonder we are slipping blush in our purses, home office drawers and tapping it on before the next zoom meeting.
“The JLo bronze look is here to stay,” says Theriault. “For Spring, reach for a combo matte bronzer with a peachy shimmery blush. I prefer matte bronzers vs. those with shimmer built-in because it gives a more natural look, and you can easily add on shimmer to go from day to night.”
“Jane Iredale is all about makeup that works like skincare and is one reason makeup artists and clients love this brand,” says Theriault. “The ‘So Bronze’ powder with peach blush is your cheek’s best friend. When it comes to applying, you can sweep from the temple, cheek to chin like a number three, or a new trend is to use it higher on the cheekbone and sweep it up to the temple in a C shape.”
Jane Iredale So Bronze 3 | $55 Buy now
- A matte peach-undertoned bronzer with a quarter moon of pressed peachy-pink shimmer.
- Bronze, contour and highlight with this light-diffusing, long-lasting powder. Containing the “Rolls Royce of minerals,” it delivers powerful antioxidants to protect and nourish the skin.
Spring is really an invitation to play with your beauty routine and give it a little extra oomph. Whether you want to treat yourself or are looking for a great gift – shop our online store now and buy one, get one 50% off all Jane Iredale Makeup.
Stay beautiful, stay safe.